This dessert needs no introduction
The most taken for granted dessert, but superbly delicious and ready in no time!
Call it Creme Caramel, Lagan nu Custard or Steamed Pudding more or less they are all same with little ingredient difference here and there.
We Bohras make this on gas by steaming, similar to the Parsi #lagannucustard
I have somehow avoided the dish due to the very eggy smell and flavour it has. However, this recipe I found is quite different in taste and doesn’t disgust me due to it’s egginess.
The no.of eggs is less and replaced by bread slices resulting in a dense and creamier textured pudding.
My kids love the dessert and I am happy with the amount of eggs and milk they consume in the name of steamed pudding.
What’s more this is your saviour dessert when you haven’t planned to make one. With readily available pantry ingredients this dessert is ready in no time.
Here’s the quick less than 30min recipe for same
STEAMED CARAMEL PUDDING
½ cup + 10tsp Sugar
2 cups milk
1 cup powdered bread (approx 6 to 7slices)
1/2 tsp Vanilla essence or saffron essence
- Prepare tin by caramelizing 10 tsp of sugar with 5 tsp water. Do this over the flame directly in tin, using a tong move tin gently over flame till sugar caramelizes. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, break 2 eggs and beat well with 1/2 cup sugar.
- Pour in 2 cups of milk. Mix
- Add in essence, powdered bread.
- Mix everything well and pour in prepared tin.
- Keep a big pot on flame and place a ring or stand inside (in centre).
- Fill with water till stand level.
- Place the custard filled tin over the ring and cover pot with tight fitting lid.
- Steam pudding for 20min over medium flame.
- To demould, run a knife through the sides of the pudding. Place a plate over the tin and quickly turn over.
- Chill before serving.
- Top with whipped cream, fresh fruits or any dessert sauce if you want to make it fancy.
We love it as is!